Thursday, December 27, 2007

The reason we're so behind . . .


Besides Christmas and the normal presents, cards (which are also late, most of them got mailed yesterday, now I'm tracking down missing addresses), goodies & get-to-gethers, Jackson came home from church two Sundays ago with the stomach flu. It ran its course in about 2 days, and then over the next week and a half passed to Carter, then to Kellie and finally to Bart. (Or so we thought). This picture is how Jackson spent the night of our caroling party. Watching DVD's in Mama and Daddy's bed with Grandma. Later that week Carter wiggled his way off our bed. (and for those of you who haven't seen my bed its very high). Bart didn't know he could move so much (he hadn't seen it yet, because he'd been gone a lot lately) and while I was baking Christmas goodies, I needed his help with a fudge crisis and he put Carter on our bed, ran to help me and Carter wiggled his way off the edge. We consulted the Dr. and got the signs to watch for and other than a scab on his nose, had no other signs, issues or further problems from it. Until Christmas Eve while Santa was getting presents wrapped and Bart was trying to sleep off the rest of his bout with being sick, Carter woke up from his crib and when Mama went to feed him, found blood coming out of his ear. I panicked. I had no idea what to do, and it being Christmas Eve pretty much gave me two options, call a guy in our ward at 11:00pm who's a Dr. or take him to the ER. So although I felt horrible I called. He was wonderful (and even called back Christmas Morning to check on him). Through tears I told him what was going on, and he explained that even though he'd fallen off the bed, 6 days earlier that wouldn't have caused the problem that much later. As long as he wasn't showing any of these other symptoms he asked me about, that it wasn't something to panic about that night, that it could wait until morning or on Wednesday, when his Dr was back from vacation.


So Christmas Day was not very fun for Carter. We took turns holding and cuddling the poor little guy. He especially loved Uncle Ryan and Grandpa. Their calm demeanors must have made him relax. When we went over to Grandma & Grandpa's house for Christmas Part 2, we called a Dr. that lives down the street, in their ward, and he offered to look at Carter for us. Turns out that Carter never had the stomach flu that the rest of us had. He had gotten a cold, and an ear infection. But being the amazing baby he is, (Now I know there's such a thing as too good of a baby) never cried or fussed about it so we didn't know. His ear got so infected that it ruptured his ear drum (which makes you throw up, which is why we thought he had the stomach flu). The Dr. told us that it is something that will heal on its own, and not cause hearing or other complications. (thankfully) So he's on a major antibiotic combo that has an acid to dry out his ear (we couldn't believe how much liquid could come out of such a little guy's ear), and the next day Carter looked like this!



We just feel so blessed that our baby is back to his smiley happy self. His little laugh and crooked little grin just melt my heart, and I missed it so much over the last week. I feel horrible that he was hurting so long and we didn't know, so we didn't do anything about it. It just made me even more grateful that our kids are healthy and for the most part (unless you try to take chocolate away from Jackson) happy.

Note: To catch up I posted a billion entries. Sorry. Read, take a breather, cook dinner, then come back and there will still be more!! Ha!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Brianna said...

Oh, I"m so glad he's feeling better. What a good little trooper. Hope you had a happy Christmas.

Pike's Place said...

After the updates, I finally know what's up with the Yeates'! Poor, poor Carter -- I've heard ruptured eardrums are so painful. I'm so glad he's better.

Taralee said...

Man, that's all too bad, but I'm happy to hear all is better! We've had some sicknesses going around. 1 of which was Halle's HUGE mess of a sickness. That was quite an ordeal and then we've had colds, sore throats, runny noses, teething...need I say more. I'm really happy things are looking up though! Derek is awesome isn't he?!!

MitziMcB said...

Poor baby boy! I bet you FREAKED out when his ear was bleeding! That would be pretty scary!

Heather said...

Looks like you guys have had a crazy week! Im glad everyone is feeling better! Happy New Year!

Susie said...

I HATE when kids are sick. We had sickness the entire week of Christmas...so I understand. Don't you love when they're back to themselves!!! What a cutie!!! Glad he's feeling better!

Tricia said...

Poor baby! What a way to spend your first Christmas! I'm glad he is feeling better. I love the contrast of the pictures from how he was feeling on Christmas to the next day! What a difference a day makes!

davidandtiffani said...

Sounds like you had an eventful Christmas season. I'm glad little Carter is doing better, and I can't believe how big Jackson is getting. I love the new look on the blog. It's fun to change it up every once in awhile. Keep in touch.
Tiff

Taralee said...

Such a cute new page!! I bet it's nice having columns on both sides :)

Hawley Family said...

Wow - what a Christmas! Ha ha...hope all is better now!!

jamieBEE said...

I found your blog from Julie's blog...and I just wanted to say thank you for getting Julie Ward to blog! :) I have not seen or heard from her forever and I am glad to get in contact with her...so thanks from one converted blogger to another. :)

I am glad your little one is feeling better :)

J kizz said...

Hey Kellie. I'm glad you found me and that we could be blogging buddies. Your kids are beautiful.