Tuesday, April 8, 2008

And this is how it ended...


Carter's cold ended up being RSV. So we've had to keep him away from any other kids for a week, and give him steroid breathing treatments 4 times a day. He hates them (so do I). When Jackson saw the Dr. put this mask on Carter, he lost it. Started sobbing "hurt my brother, you hurt my brother. He doesn't like it. He doesn't like it." It broke my heart. Although I felt bad for Carter, and sad that I couldn't reassure Jackson because I had to hold Carter with two hands, it made me feel good that Jackson loves his little brother. We tried to get Jackson to touch the mask, see that it doesn't hurt. Show him how the machine works, where the medicine goes, all that stuff he usually would want to know (try and take apart to find out usually). None of it helped. He would cry every time I had to put it on Carter. The 3rd time we did the treatment I start listening and hear Jackson saying, "no smoke, no smoke. Burn Carter." I had him touch the mask after Carter was done, and he said, "It's not hot?" The medicine is dispersed through a nebulizer machine (which I hope no one else knows about this, cause I didn't), turns the medicine into a vapor that the kid breathes in to help his lungs open up. So it looks like smoke. Jackson thought that we were burning Carter. No wonder he got so upset. Once we explained that it's not hot, just medicine, and let him see and touch it while it was working, he's been fine. He still worries every time we do it, and the minute we start stands by Carter, and immediately says, "almost done?" He stays next to him the whole time, and keeps asking until we really are done.

Each treatment takes between 5-20 minutes. So Carter has gotten creative. He figured out that if he wraps his toes around the plastic tubing, he can pull it out and then the mask stops. So not only do we have to hold him, and his hands, we've had to start holding his feet as well. (He inherited his Monkey toes from me, I'm so proud). He also shakes his head side to side, trying to get the mask off. We've tried holding it in front of him, without strapping it, and that doesn't work either. The one time he fell asleep while I was doing it was the best. The more still they are the faster it goes, so if he fights it makes it longer...(joy.) And when he's good it goes fast. I wish that was switched.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Poor Carter! Poor Jackson! It's so nice that Jackson loves his brother so much. How protective of him. Jayce has the exact same rhino mask . . . breathing treatments are such a pain, but they do help.

Team Harris said...

awwwwwwwww :( poor babies! that sounds like a nightmare.

Courtnie said...

Oh Kellie! I started laughing but crying too seeing poor Carter. He is so cute and I feel sorry for the kid. Jackson hopefully understands now so there won't be any permanent damage. Good luck with it all.

Katrina said...

That is so sad! I have tons of friend whose kids had RSV this year. I did not know you could get that here. I thought that was a weird Utah thing that only tiny babies got but I learned this year its not. I hope he feels better soon.

Kara said...

Poor Carter! I hope he is doing better.

Jackson is such a cute big brother.


Taylor had to have a breathing treatment (same mask too!)last month at the doctors office and it was awful. She was so upset that the doctor gave us a prescription.

Tricia said...

Poor baby! Really I should say poor Mommy having to deal the the machine. I remember the good old days of the rhino mask and breathing treatments. Thanks goodness Shane grew out of it. What a sweet brother Jackson is trying to protect him.

Teisha said...

I have heard of so many people in Las Vegas whose kids have gotten RSV. I'm so sorry, that must be so hard to keep him still to do the treatments. Jackson is so cute. That is the sweetest thing!

Laura & Paul said...

Welcome to my world. Unfortunately we are very familiar with the lovely nebulizer. Poor Cooper got so used to it he usually ended up falling asleep. It still seemed like the treatment never went fast enough. I don't know what meds they gave you but if they gave you Albueterol and it makes him jittery, ask for Xopenex. It is way better.

We are... said...

AWWW...poor Carter! Jackson is a great big brother! That's good that they love eachother so much! I hope things can improve! How much longer do you have to do the treatments?