Sunday, May 25, 2008

"A three year old child is a being who gets almost as much fun out of a fifty-six dollar set of swings as it does out of finding a small green worm." - Anonymous

(If you look very close you can see the moth on the right side of the clear box.)

On the trip a few weeks ago with the women of Bart's family - right before we left St. George I found a huge green catepillar right by my car. So I picked it up, made it a home in a water bottle and brought it home to Jackson. He loved his catepillar. Loved it a little too much. The second day he tried to give it a drink and I was sure he had drowned it. After a day of drying out (and not moving a muscle, I think it was afraid the big giant orange child would come back). I tried to explain to Jackson that catepillars turn into butterflies, but I still thought it was dead. The third day I went to dispose of said dead catepillar and low and behold it had spun a cocoon. Seriously the very next day. How in the world did I pick the catepillar that was on its way to making his cocoon? Or does drowning make a catepillar spin a cocoon?? After a little more than two weeks (I was beginning to suspect he was dead again). We came home one night and there was a beautiful MOTH! Okay so our catepillar didn't turn into the beautiful monarch butterfly I had imagined, but at least Jackson got to see it happen. This was about the coolest thing ever. He carried it around and we had a talk and then set the moth free. Thanks little catepillar for making your cocoon and doing it when my little guy could get such a kick out of it. I love that he wants to learn so much about everything and anything going on in his world. He makes me so excited to teach him things!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Jayce would love that! How fun!

Brianna said...

Oh you're lucky. Our green inchworm turned into something that wasn't so friendly. I had to kill it one night when Benjamin wasn't around because it was actually hurting the other little critters we had. I think little kids just love things like that! What a cool mom to bring it home for him.

Kelsey said...

Science lab in your own home- Love it! What a lucky find. The moth is the funny part. ha ha!

Mierzejewski said...

How do you put the pictures up like that?? All in a row, please tell me how you do that!

Katrina said...

That is so fun. You are such a good mom. I think if I had seen any kind of bug outside of my car, I would have stepped right over it and kept walking. Can my girls come live with you for a while? I think they would have more fun :)

Tiffani said...

I love all your posts. It's so fun because one morning I will get on your blog and you have played catch-up and I always know I am in for some laughs!fpdxsy