Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Mama!!

It's hard to put into words what your mom means to you. I've thought a lot about this as I watch my boys. Most of the time they take me for granted, they whine or cry at me. They don't care what I'm doing, or how I feel, they want what they want, when they want it. But that one little slobbery baby kiss, or the cry for mama (when they're really hurt and not faking it) is the moment in the day that I live for. I worry about them. They're not even big enough to get themselves dressed and I worry about them. I work so hard to make sure they know they're loved. I get up 7 times in one night just to hold them so they won't cry (because teething sucks). I change and wash bed sheets three times in one day (because he can only sleep in Lighting McQueen sheets). I talk about trains, animal sounds, and hot dogs 90% of my day. I would rather buy spiderman sandals, because he'll really love them, then the newest movie, skirt or music. I fight three hours of church with a baby who has had no nap, and just figured out he can crawl under the pew, so that someday they'll go to church by their own choice. I cut all my food with a pizza cutter. I ask where is your underwear more times in a day then I can count. I scrubbed a black full hand print on the door casing today. I am a decently good cook, specializing in quesadillas, cinnamon rolls and dang good freezer jam, but mostly I make hot dogs (with cheese in them), noodles with no sauce just butter, and chocolate milk. I know what the happy meal toy at McDonalds is this month, (and we have one). I wake up exhausted and still work out, so they won't have a fat mom, (a little bit so my jeans look cute, but mostly so they won't have a fat mom). I have Cars, Finding Nemo and Curious George memorized. My big event each week is playgroup. And for my break from it all. . . I walked up and down every aisle in Walmart even though I didn't need anything. I love my life.

Why do I have this life that I love? My mom. In no way does my daily list compare. Despite all the times I've taken her for granted and still do, she tells me I'm a good mom when I feel like a failure. Understands my boys and sees the good in them. That even sometimes mom can't fix it, (but Grandma can). Listens to me talk about everything from potty training to the frustrating economy. Encourages me to get on the elliptical one more day (for me.) Makes my husband feel important and successful in her eyes. There is nothing more important than family. Taught me it was worth it and more to have the day I do and go to bed exhausted just knowing that my boys are safe (and for the most part happy). I owe hours of no sleep, worry, laughter, patience, and love. I know that there is no repayment appropriate. But I know that those slobbery open mouth baby kisses, that cry for mama when they're really hurt, that no matter how much they take me for granted, there's a special place (on a completely different level) that's only reserved for mom, mama or mommy (sometimes even honey, sweetheart or Kellie mama) but it's not just mine. Those wonderful boys, those small minutes of heaven are because of my mom, and the mom she was and is to me, and that's why I'm the mom I am to them.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

What a great post Kel! Your Mom really is so wonderful! And that picture makes we realize how scary-alike our Moms look now...

Shelise said...

Thanks for sharing. I cried, and it felt good.

Megan & Shawn said...

I have to agree you have a pretty awesome Mom! She was always so good us crazy roommates!

hollyhs5 said...

oh my gosh! so awesome! loved the post!