Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Little Behind I know



So Jenna and Hyrum's wedding was named the wedding where you do everything twice. My mom booked the flowers then a few weeks later found out that the place was being renovated and couldn't do Jenna's flowers that weekend. She found a cake lady who then had to have surgery or daughter had to have surgery or something and backed out. It was like that for everything. Jenna's wedding dress was picked out and paid for, then supposed to be sent to Las Vegas. Right before her bridals she gets a dress in the mail and it wasn't her dress. Wrong size, wrong alterations. They couldn't find her dress in the store. So some manager finally tracked one down (right size, right color), had it altered and overnighted. So when the cake lady backed out my mom called everyone she knew that had a child who's gotten married, called every cake lady they could find. Everyone was booked for Jenna's weekend (it didn't help that it was only a month and a half away.) So Bart came up with a genius idea (heavy sarcasm noted here), that I should make Jenna's cake. Well I've made cakes before, mostly birthday cakes, and I really like making cakes. But a wedding cake? And my sister's wedding cake of all things. So Jenna wanted a chocolate wedding cake. (which is really hard). So we made about 6 different practice recipes until we found one everyone liked, then tried different frostings. We looked at hundreds of pictures until we figured out what she wanted on it. Dots and lines.

Jenna and Hyrum are chocolate fanatics. So to make it a little more to their liking I upped the amount of cocoa in the frosting (which is also why in some pictures the chocolate color looks almost like when a chocolate bar melts, because chocolate isn't like white, you can't make it the exact same color all over). So here's what we ended up with. The bottom layer was 16 inches by 16 inches and chocolate cake. The second layer was 12 inches by 12 inches, and white cake. The third layer was 8 by 8 inches and white cake. The top layer that Jenna and Hyrum get to keep for a year, is 4 by 4 inches and chocolate cake. The bottom layer was so heavy by the time I got it frosted and finished was so heavy I couldn't lift it (that's what Husbands who volunteer you for crazy jobs are for). I could lift the others but they were still very heavy. I can't imagine how much the entire thing weighed. There were three or four layers in each tier of the cake and in between it was filled with white chocolate.

For my first wedding cake I'm happy with it. (Also happy it was just done). It took me almost 3 days completely straight to get it frosted and decorated. We drove it over in the back of the suburban with the seat down, and I sat back there with it so nothing could happen to it. After all that if it had smashed in the back of the car I would have died. There were a few things that in retrospect I would do differently, mostly just because I've never made a wedding cake before. Mostly things that would have just made it a little easier. But here it is, (now enough with the email threats (you know who you are)), and I'm glad that I was able to do something to help make my little sister's big day (or week and a half as it really was) special. Love you Jenna & Hyrum. (and yes the silly picture of Erin & Ryan, as well as the one of Jenna and Hyrum are just in there because I think they're funny...)
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

P & J said...

Your cake looks SOOOOO good! What a talented woman you are! (and thanks for including the picture of Erin--love it!)

lindsay said...

wow,that's a beautiful cake. now we know that there's a pro cake maker in the fam. that might come in handy some day. :)

Pike's Place said...

You are amazing! Can I borrow some talent?

hollyhs5 said...

the cake turned out awesome! great job!

Team Harris said...

there is noooo way you really made that cake! It is gorgeous! I totally thought it was professional. Way to go!

Megan & Shawn said...

Wow that is great! Um wish you would have made my cake, I love Jenna's - looks like you have a business brewing??

Megan & Shawn said...

Oh yeah congratulations on number three!!! So fun, and you are such a fun mom, what lucky kids.

Taralee said...

WOW, I'm majorly impressed. I had NO clue you knew how to do that. IT's actually something I have an interest in, but it seems time consuming and tricky. So i'll just admire your talent :) Good job!

FYI, when I first scrolled to this post (before reading), I specifically though "ohhh, I really like her cake". Little did I know that YOU did it!!!

Theo Fam said...

Your cake looks absolutely awesome!!! Great job!

Mike and Lauren said...

Kellie I am so impressed!!! I was just looking through these first few blogs and when I saw the pictures of the cake I loved it. Definitely never would have thought it was done by a first-timer! Hopefully we'll get to see youguys sometime in the near future!