Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Three for Three

Much to Jackson's heartbroken disappointment

we are having another little boy!

The rest of us are thrilled. I just love my little boys and just love being a 'boy mom'. Bart loves that since its another boy we don't have to buy more baby stuff! (What a man. I informed him that money doesn't get to decide everything we do!!) Carter doesn't understand of course but I'm sure he's excited either way to have a baby, that he can poke in the eye, of his very own. (Warning: If you have a little baby and you want it to be able to see, keep Carter away. Carter loves babies but when he gets too close the first thing he does is try and touch their eyes! Poor baby Sawyer...) Jackson however is still feeling sad. He's informed me 3 times today and twice yesterday. This is our conversation every time (with a little variation)...

Jackson : Mom, I feel sad. (While laying listlessly on the couch, with one arm hanging down or head bowed in his carseat or wherever else he might be)
Me: Why Jacks?
Jackson: Because I really wanted a baby girl.
Me: Oh, honey. I'm sorry. But I promise a baby brother will be lots of fun.
Jackson: But mom do we have to? Can't we pick? Can't we have one baby brother and one baby girl?
Me: No, we can't pick Jackson. It doesn't mean that we won't have a baby girl, but this one is a baby boy and we can't change that. .

I've tried:
* it's just like having another one of your friends over to play, like Shane, Jayce, Trevor, Gabe, it's just like those boys except this one will live with us.
* he'll like boy things like you and you can teach him to play just like Carter
* you'll get to be a big brother again and help mama take care of the baby
* how about you help me think of names for your little brother? Jackson's ideas = Simba, fridges, flag, skittles. (I think he wants this kid to be beat up, can you imagine Flag Skittles Yeates, I can hear the taste the rainbow jokes now!)
* any other reason I can think of at the moment but I'm running short on ideas!!

He's asked me 3-4 times today "Sweetie, (I'm sweetie about 90% of the time) how's my baby girl doing?", and then switches it to (in a very defeated tone of voice) "I mean my baby brother..."

The only time he's been excited was when we were talking at dinner last night and he was counting. He said I'm boy 1, and Carter's boy 2, and the baby is boy 3. 1 boy and 1 boy and 1 boy is 3. We told him we very proud of him for figuring that out and adding up the boys, and then he was excited.
About 20 minutes later we had the first I feel sad discussion.

Anyone got ideas for helping the poor little guy adjust to the little brother he so desperately doesn't want?!?!

19 comments:

Christa Jeanne said...

Awwww, poor Jackson! That's so sad... but in such an adorable way. He sounds like a sweetie. I don't have any great parenting ideas, but at least he has several months to warm up to the idea?

Tricia said...

Congrats! I love being a boy mom too. Poor Jackson, once they are all old enough to make messes together which will be here before we know it he'll be loving it! I love the names he's picked out my personal favorite, Simba!

The Valley Family said...

How exciting for a little BOY!! I am so happy for you. I am sure Jackson will be excited once this little man comes!

Pike's Place said...

Ahhhh . . . he'll be fine. He just needs time. I think three boys will be awesome!

AlliFinn said...

WE could trade babies. I seem to do good girls and you boys. What ya think? hehe. Congratulations!!!!

Jennifer said...

So cute and so sad at the same time. Wish I could offer some advice, but my boy can't sit up on his own, let alone verbally express emotion. Good luck (and PS YAY for another boy!)

Team Harris said...

Hahaha poor Jackson. That was the funniest post. I can't believe he calls you Sweetie. He sounds hilarious. Congrats on another boy! :) I'm sure he will be as adorable at the first two. We have to wait until the 13th to find out what we're having.

Anna said...

Out of the gazillion people I know you are pregnant, you are the only one having a boy (that we know of, I guess).

I'm trying to get Joshua used to babies right now. Instead of poking them in the eye, like Carter, he pets their heads. Joshua would probably be happier with a puppy than a baby sister.

camery said...

Congratulations! You do make cute boys, so at least you know that going into it, right? :) Good luck with getting Jackson to come around to life with two brothers! Hope you are feeling good. And for the love, enjoy the fact that you can eat whatever your body is telling you it needs! Oh, how I miss those days of cravings...

Kara said...

Congratulations! Jackson is so funny. You'd think he'd be upset if it WASN'T a boy. My brother Matthew cried when I was born because he wanted a little brother. I believe he cried when Chelsea arrived too. By the time Kylie and Emily showed up, he got used to it. I'm sure Jackson will love him when he gets here!

Jarod and Tanya Rollins said...

We are excited! Tell Jackson he can be a big brother to Jarod and I's baby girl-he can come and visit all he wants and she can be his baby girl!

Kristen said...

What a funny guy you have! I'm sure once he realizes that he has two little brothers to boss around, he'll get over it. Congrats!

Andrea and Blake said...

that is great, can't wait to see who he looks like - just tell Jackson that you'll have kids until you get at least one girl!!!!

Coby & Ash said...

CONGRATS Kell! I guess I was wrong...my vote was girl! But you do make dang cute boys (seriously), so no worries! I can't believe Jackson wanted a girl, most little kids want the same as them! You're kids are so hilarious...wonder what this one will be like... I'm seriously so happy for you! When is your due date again?

craftyashley said...

Tell him he can dress the boy up as a girl for fun! LOL
I wanted a little sister so badly. I just treated my little brother as a girl. His GI Joes were allowed to come into Barbie's dream house- if he was careful, and he'd play dress up with me. He made a very attractive young lady! The pictures are priceless, and worth dragging out whenever he brings a girlfriend over.
Congrats on the boy!

Julie said...

Congratulations on the new boy! Just tell Jackson that if you have 2 more you can have your own basketball team! Not a great answer but a NEW one which might help.

Courtnie said...

Congrats Kellie! That will be nice to have 3 of the same gender. Poor Kolby, the only thing that gets him happy when he is sad is a doll. . .enough said!

Mike and Lauren said...

Yay for boys! This is also three for three in that you and Bart, Emily and Jonathan, as well as Mike and I will all be having boys in the first three months of the year! Jackson is so dang cute and funny. I'm sure he'll get excited soon and it's exciting to know he's so looking forward to a little girl around someday!

Mitzi said...

Yea! Another boy. I am just getting caught up on my pre cruise blog reading. It has been a while. I was sitting making bows for a craft fair that I am doing and I was thinking of you and our trips to the craft fairs and then I started thinking that if you were having a girl, I would have to send you some bows. Then I started to think is she having a boy or girl? So I had to play catch up on your blog. Congrats on the boy. I will have to save my bows for someone else! Three down, 4 more to go! (It was 7 boys in the dream right?)