Monday, December 1, 2008

Apparently I am Irritable. . .

So we're three for three on the boys, but I'm also three for three with my pregnancies and early contractions. With Jackson they started at about 33 weeks, and he came almost 3 weeks early, after I was dilated to a 4 a month prior to my due date (whole emergency scary c-section story is a whole different post). Carter started at about 29 weeks, and although I was able to keep from dilating had to be monitored and on medication to stop the contractions (which the medication stops the contractions but makes the rest of your body jittery and shaky like you have Parkinson's) and one night taken to the hospital for shots to stop the contractions since they wouldn't stop at home. This baby boy apparently is just as much trouble as his brothers, and I had contractions start two or three weeks ago (it all blurs together at this point, lets be honest), and yes that made 25 weeks. Well the medical term for this is "an irritable uterus". My aunt has the same thing, and with each baby, the contractions start sooner, and her 4th & final child she started having contractions at 18 weeks. Joy.

Here's my deal. An irritable uterus? Really? Irritable sounds like it's choosing to just be trouble because it sounds like fun. Either that or they have no idea what it is so they call it irritable. (Like any stomach problem they can't diagnose becomes termed irritable Bowl syndrome...). So I don't like the term irritable. How about really ticked off uterus? or I can't believe we're doing this again so soon uterus? And really the word uterus is weird anyway. Where did that gem come from?

So although I haven't had to start the medication yet this time (which I don't know what is worse the medication so you can't sleep and fidget constantly or the contractions which feel like you're doing stomach crunches for 3 months). My Dr. has ordered a prescription and it's at his office so whenever the time comes that I can't get the contractions to stop, all I have to do is go pick it up. He says this is a stronger med than I had with Carter, but has to be taken everyday (not just when he contractions get too strong), so we're trying to avoid that until absolutely necessary - but at least this time I won't look like I've just gone into detox.

But anyway this is the reason I've been MIA. To keep from going all medicated I've been trying to avoid taking the boys very many places, and the rest of my days counting contractions (if I have more than 4 an hour I'm in trouble), drinking gallons of water, and sleeping (which will usually stop them, if they get bad). I've also become inactive, at least for the last few weeks, due to my Grandma's 90th birthday, a cousin's wedding (in Utah - which my Dr. didn't know I was going to, and Bart was really against the idea, but finally let me go anyway), and this week contractions that were 4-6 minutes apart and took 4 hours to stop Saturday night. (which of course was the only week the Dr.'s office was closed for Thanksgiving...).

I've gotten emails, facebook notes & blog comments wondering where we are, if we're okay. We're doing fine, I just am being anti-contraction social, and entertaining boys under house arrest. So I'm trying to be a little more involved -
* Catch up on blogging - I've been so unmotivated lately (mostly activities we've been doing around the house & with cousins who have been here the last two weeks and leave tonight...)
* Put away Thanksgiving decor - done on Saturday with Bart's help
* Get Christmas under control - which the ridiculousness hit me today that it's already December...
* Play catch up on my calling / church activities (hello Visiting Teaching)

So I appreciate all the help, offers to take my boys, and apologize for being a horrible friend, church going member, and visiting teacher. Hopefully we'll be around more, not so anti-social, and make it through the last 90 days of this pregnancy fairly uneventful.

7 comments:

Kara said...

This sounds like the same thing my friend has gone through with all of her pregnancies. (she's on #3 right now) I hope all goes well and this little guy stays put for awhile!

craftyashley said...

I know about being anti-social bedrest lady from my pregnancy.... Good luck! Let me know if there's any way I can help!

Pike's Place said...

Oh, Kellie. Tsk, tsk -- stop contracting! :) I told Bart at Church to give you that order. Anyway, I'm taking your boys this week. What works best for you?

Becca said...

hahahaha, I'm going to see how long I can go through nursing school and use the term "really ticked off uterus." that is fabulous :)

I hope you feel better!!

Anna said...

I'm sorry the contractions are coming so early again. I know that is a horrible experience -- not from personal experience really. I started having contractions a few weeks ago too, and thought that was kind of early, but mine are the benign and supposedly helpful ones. I'll keep you in my prayers. We don't want any super early babies!

AlliFinn said...

Dont worry im irritable too. probably more ways than my uterus. And the tributaline stuff stinks cause then they tell you to stay down. Really? I think it makes me feel like running a marathon. Good luck! Hope your uterus calms down!

Carl & Mickie Yeates said...

So what is my problem. I'm irritable and I'm not pregnant. I haven't been pregnant for 131/2 years. I guess we can blame that on old age, menopause, or just married to an old farmer. There is also the fact that I have 6 children and four of them don't live near me. Two of them I don't want them to live near me. I think being irritable is a gift. Enjoy it. Love Mom