Thursday, January 29, 2009

Things I apparently taught Jackson. . .

Example #1: So tonight after Enrichment, Carter, Jackson & I were driving home, and the boys were hungry because mom was slacking and didn't get dinner made before we went, and Jackson asked when we were going to eat. (I wasn't starving them, they had snacks before enrichment, just not a real dinner). I told him we were going to eat when we got home. To which Jackson responded. "Can we eat in the Family Room?" Ummmm.... I don't know. (good answer huh?) "Cause Dad's not home" (Bart was playing Elder's Quorum Basketball tonight - don't ask they got demolished). Then Jackson details it all out for me. "When Dad's not home, we get to eat in the family room, on the big couch, on the family room table. Then we can watch a show. On Daddy's big screen." He paused for a minute or two, while I was a little speechless, and then even better says "and I don't tell Dad. Cause its a secret." Now I swear I have never said to Jackson "Don't tell dad we eat in the family room because its a secret" or anything resembling this. But apparently Jackson caught on to the fact that mom is a little bit lax about eating in the family room (something that drives Bart crazy), so we only do it when Bart isn't home... (and yes, I fessed up to this before posting it on the blog, my secret is out, I'm busted.)

Example #2: Two nights ago, after dinner, I was making the boys clean things up, pick up all the toys and couch cushions that appear daily on the floor of our family room. Then dump trashes from all the bedrooms, and help change out the laundry (these are a few of the jobs that they are required to help with). Bart was loading some dishes in the dish washer, and when the boys and I finished their jobs, I went into the kitchen, boys in tow, and said for their benefit "Daddy the boys are such good helpers, we finished all their jobs." Bart said something about the boys being such good helpers, and then quietly joked "Good helpers, when they want to be." Well we didn't think Jackson could hear us, until he turns to me and says "Yeah, like when you're mad." WHAT?!?! Seriously how aggravating is that. My three year old just told me that he waits until I'm mad before he decides to be a good helper. (Now that's not always the case, but I know I've thought this same thing a few times in the last week at least) and to hear my worst fears worded in such simple three year old logic, oh so aggravating! Little stinker.

5 comments:

craftyashley said...

Jackson is hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle!

Taralee said...

That's pretty funny. At our house my girls are always TOTALLY on my side. EVEN if I'm the one being the bum. Tom will do something and the girls (mainly Brinley) will get after him. If I do the exact same things, it just fine haha. We think it's pretty comical :) And Tom will sometimes say, hey that's not fair lol!

Julie said...

I hate it when that happens! My childrent have learned all sorts of 'unintended' lessons from me. Hopefully they don't need therapy later.

angie said...

hahaa kids pick up on everything! he sounds like a smart little guy

Tiffani said...

I laughed when I read this... some of these things so apply to me... Cant wait to get an update on you and the new little one when he comes! Hang in there!